Sunday 13 May 2007

Another week goes by...

Well then...

This week I've been a busy little boy. On Friday I went to a house party and narrowly avoided getting beaten up by the testosterone filled riot police. If you havn't heard about the police overreaction in Hyde Park then check out this weeks 'MET' student paper. Its also on the BBC 'Look North' web site, although they dont give much away. If your on Facebook then check out the group
Survivors of the peaceful party on 19 Hessle Terrace and 20 Hessle Avenue. It really was crazy watching people getting beaten up because of a peacefull house party.

I ran home near the end and got my camera but got there too late. Heres some photos though.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Sorry the quality is so bad, but you get the idea.

I spent the the weekend in Sheffield partying and riding with the boys. It was good. I was hung over.

On Monday and Tuesday I kicked off my modeling career by being photographed heckling girls with Kyle and Bing by Ricky Adam for his LS6 thing which should appear in Vice magazine some time soon. Im going to be so famous. Anonamous model today, who knows where tomorrow? I mentioned Ricky's LS6 photos on the last post. Again, check out
www.rickyadamphoto.com. Its super.

Went to London on Wednesday with Cat. Was pretty good but rainy. We started off by going to the Tate Modern. If I remember right, there were four exhibitions that we looked at - Poetry and Dream, States of Flux, Idea and Object and Material Gestures.

To be honest, the majority of 'art' I can't relate to, and don't really want to. However, there were a few bits that i liked (unfortunately we got there as they were taking down the Gilbert and George exhibition, or there would have been alot more stuff there that I liked)

I liked the Francis Bacon stuff. I like the distorted and scary way that he paints his figures. I also liked the surrealist self-portrait photographs by Francesca Woodman. Also in the Poetry and Dream exhibition there was also a couple really simple canvasses that just has red paint dripping down them, that i really liked (aesthetically), however i cant remember the name of the artist.

In the States of Flux exhibition I really liked the 'USSR in construction' bit. I like the Russian Constructivist graphic style of photomontage, geometric shapes and bold sans-serif type.

I think my favorite part of the Tate is the shop. I was trying to find the Adbusters 'Design Anarchy' book but had no look, and narrowly escaped spending money on another David Shrigley book, a book of Gilbert and George postcards, and the book 'Geurilla Advertising', which is amazing. I settled for a couple of post cards.

Time to Choose by Shrigley (if you cant read it it says: TIME TO CHOOSE - Good. Evil. Don't Know)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

and this one by R.Ortas, which says 'Greetings from out of space'

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I really like the misaligned printing and home made feel as well as the slighlty childish illustration. Fantastico.

After the Tate we were going to go to London Zoo, because I wanted to get some photos of the animals. But because Camdon tube station was being fixed or something we couldn't get there. By the time we walked to Camdon it was getting late and it was pissing down with rain. We decided not to bother with the zoo in the end and just had a look around the market before it closed and got some dinner at a Wetherspoons.

Hopefully, I'll get to a Zoo soon and get some photos of the animals. I think my Dad has nicked my long lens though. O well, we'll see.

Got all my print stuff finished and handed it in on Thursday. Thats a relief. I made the book completely wrong and the screen printing is mediocre at best.

Here is a couple of photos of my book

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

it looks alright from the outside but the pages are all in the wrong order.

This weekend my parents were over so I got a few free meals, which is nice.

We had a look at the Henry Moore Institute's exhibition 'Towards a New Laocoon.' We ended up going in during the private viewing, but no one said anything. They might have done if we had started drinking the wine and eating the nibbles. It was only a tiny exhibition, but i was really impressed. It was all work based on snake like forms.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Wax Model of Laocoon, 17th century

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tony Cragg, Kahzernarbeit.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Richard Deacon, Laocoon, 1996


We also had a look at the Drawing on Sculpture exhibition. It said it was a 'graphic intervention on photography', or something like that. I didn't think much of it though. there was only one that I really liked.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Willi Baumeister, Drawing over a photograph of Arno Brecker’s ‘Der Rächer’ as reproduced in the exhibition catalogue for ‘The Great German Art Exhibition’ of 1941

Thats how for now.

Bye Bye

x

No comments: