Saturday 19 May 2007

HDR Photography and stuff

I've had this post written since Sunday, it's now Tuesday and I'm posting it cos I hate my computer and it hasn't been letting me put the photos on. Anyways, here it is. Finally. The HDR Special Edition...


Good Day.

I managed to hand in my Photography Elective work on Tuesday, so the pressure is off a bit now. Which is nice. I'll post some of my photos when I get them back, as well as photos of my print work. Bet y'all can't wait for that.

This week I have mostly been playing around with High Dynamic Range photography with Andy Cody.

Andy showed me these HDR photos of Hong Kong by a guy called Yong Fook. Unfortunately, I couldn't nick them off the site so you'll have to check them out at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yongfook/230852137/in/set-72157594263154572/

Seriously, have a look, they're amazing.

How they work is by taking a series of photographs of the same object at different exposures. For example, 3 stops under, 2 stops under, 1 stop under, the right exposure, 1 stop over, 2 stops over and 3 stops over. Then using either the merge to HDR option in Photoshop or using a program called Photmatix you marge all the photos together to make one stunning image.

Here is a photo in our car park done using Photoshop. Check out the detail in the car. Sexy shadows.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


After we did this Andy downloaded a copy of Photomatix. Photomatix is apparently better than Photoshop for doing HDR because it does tone mapping, which Photoshop doesn't do. However, prefere the image above to the Photomatix version of the same photo.


Heres some images done on Photomatix.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I've just been informed of a maggot problem our kitchen. Yum