Thursday 25 September 2008

Information Graphics

I'm becoming increasingly psyched on information Graphics and have been into maps and things lately, but also technical drawings and diagrams.

It's strange because Andy Cody has also been getting into technical drawings, and was showing me some work he did for a car manufacturer. Here they are pinched from his website - andycody.co.uk





He uses line really well - picking out different details and using different stroke weights.

I also found this on Typeneu.com the other day, by Valentin Adam. Both sheets fold out and fit, like a key, over each other. I really like the clean graphic style, which makes something potentially boring really interesting.




It reminds me a bit of that guy (sorry, I don't know his name) from second year graphics, who had that information graphics at the end of year show. Impressive stuff.

I have been looking at old maps recently. I borrowed this book of old maps of the Isle of Man from my Dad recently, but unfortunately I haven't got any scans from itany scans from it.

But I did by this map from the train station that had four OS maps of Leeds from different times. Here's a close up of the 1841 - 1858 map. Its crazy to think that it is all hand made.



I also picked up the book called Mapping the World, by Peter Whitfield, from Oxfam, for a fiver. There is some amazing imagery in it:






I'm entering the Don't Panic poster competition. The word is Machine, at first was going to do something 'deep' about the war-machine, or the political machine, or nature as a machine, but I thought that was a bit stereotypical and a lot of people might do similar things.

So I thought I could do about how machines could be good, or they could be bad. I want to have a poster divided into 2 sections: Good Machines, and Bad Machines. Keep it lighthearted.
I imagine it as a cleaner looking version of a Shrigley illustration. Kind of.



See you later A.C. Slater!

x

No comments: