Tuesday 19 February 2008

The competition is hotting up

I have spent the last week or so working on two competition briefs. The first being the Ogilvy Brief for the D&AD competition that I'm working on with Claire - check out our blog. We have to promote the idea of listening instead of just hearing, using only copy. We have kind of being going round in circles, but we finally decided on our concept a week or so ago. Our concept is chinese whispers, so we have been looking at the way that the truth can become distorted through rumors.

The first think that I started investigating was how the word 'lie' is part of the word 'believe'.




I did this, however I think that is is really tacky, and I'm sure something similer will have been done before.

So I started looking at the term 'grapevine', which apparently originated during the American Civil War.

One of the first things that people think of when they hear 'grapevine' is that song that Marvin Gaye sang - "Heard it through the grapevine, not much longer will she be mine....", and I thought 'but what if he heard wrong?' I think that it would be good for the copy to be written from Marvin Gaye's girlfriend's point of view. It would go something like this:



It would work both ways - he's misunderstood that she is going to dump, and she has misunderstood that he's not gay, his name is Gaye.

I also thought that the campaign could be called 'The Grapevine Campaign'(I've just realised that I spelled it campaigne...). Here is an initial logo design:



The other competition that I've been working on is to design the art college end of year show promo stuff. It has to fit in with the other promo work that The Consult does. The deadline was yesterday, and they announce the designs that have been shortlisted on Thursday. If I get shortlisted I have to make a short presentation, and then the winner is announced in April (I think).

I started doing one design, then decided to do another, but finished them both and entered both of them (cos ya never know).

Idea 1




This is the Private View postcard. I wanted to make something that could be used as a stand alone piece, but would also advertise the show. I tried to show the hard work that goes into the end of year show.


I simplified the imagery down on the poster for the Public View, to a bleeding pencil (if this idea wins, which it probably wont, i want to retake the photos because they are rubbish.)

Idea 2



This is the postcard for the Private View. I wanted to explore how far I could take the type layout, yet keep it readable. I think that this looks quite good, and it really forces the reader to engage with it.

This is the Public View poster, which is essentially the same thing but simplified down so that it can be read quicker.

Fingers crossed, I could really do with winning £500....

Joel suggested I check out Vince Frost, which I just have done, you should do the same - frostdesign.com.au

I presume that this is the piece of work that Joel was talking about:



Not Bad, eh?

No comments: