Monday 15 December 2008

Installation final mock up

So I fancied myself as a bit of a tradesman. I went to Homebase and bought some perspex, a hack saw, glue gun, nuts, bolts, washers and some sandpaper.

I had the idea of 'knocking up' (in true tradesman fashion) a perspex model. I had dreams of hanging out in the workshop with the band saw. But no. I had to use an acrylic cutter. With an acrylic cutter you basically score the perspex a load of times then snap it. This is a bit of a hassle. More so when you can't find a perspex cutter and have to use a hand held tile cutter.

I have blisters all over my hands, my fingers are really stiff and there is perspex saw dust all ever my kitchen. It took me so long - I would say around 4 full days in total - to make. I spend literally 6 hours just sanding the perspex.

One particular highlight was when I tried fitting 3.25mm bolts into 3.5mm holes, not realising the measurment of the bolts doesn't take into account the thread, and ended up having to file the thread of one side of each bolt to fit them through.

Anyway, its gone midnight and here it is:




And thanks to the wonders of Photoshop:

No comments: