Thursday 2 October 2008

Summer Presentation

I had to do a 10 minute presentation to the rest of my class about what I did over the summer and what I intend to do in the future.

I started by talking about my work placement at Thompson Brand Partners. It was really god, everybody was really helpful and got me working straight away. I learnt lots, but the experience also made me realise how being a designer is a realistic ambition, and that professional designers aren't too different from student designers, and professional design studios aren't that different from the College design studio.

The first piece of work that I did was designing a leaflet for the National Media Museum. This taught me about layout, and I leanred lots about Indesign that I didn't know.



I also designed some print ads for the Leeds College of Music. This was quite a quick job and I had to use set photos, set colours and a set font, but was still enjoyable. They were printed in The Metro, Evening Post, etc.







I also worked on a set of young persons guide books, where I developed the front cover using magenta ink and magenta acetate to make a visual effect. However I completely forgot to talk about this in my presentation. I have no idea how.

Next I talked about my work at the Isle of Man College which was a bit of a strange job - half design/half general other stuff. Whilest it was a bit strange and not very professional I still produced lots of work and had really tight deadlines.

Also while I was in the Isle of Man I did a couple of freelance jobs, one for The One World Centre encouraging school children to buy Fair Trade, and one was a logo design for a friends website - student ratings.co.uk. As well as this I designed a poster and book mark advertising the LCAD Open Days. This was an old unused design I did that they wanted me to adapt, so this was a pretty easy job.

Next I talked about my dissertation. I want to write about ethical design, and the difficulties faced by a designer when designing for a good cause. I have been reading lots an speaking to people about design responsibility as well as world trade. For a case study I want to look at PETA who have done a lot of campaigns/poster work that is ridiculously untactful, in my opinion doing more damage than good.

My goals for the future are mainly to keep trying to get small freelance jobs, work hard and keep in touch with agencies and try and get a job straight out of college. One day though, I really want to do my own thing - set up my own studio, or go free lance.

I feel the presentation went quite well, it was all improvised so I was a bit nervous. I surprised myself by finding lots to say. I felt however though that it focused mainly on what I had done instead of what I had learned and what I found out i needed to learn.

I enjoyed listening to everybody else's presentations. Everybody seemed really busy and produced lots of good work.

No comments: