Friday 31 October 2008

Where to start?

I am trying to get started on my T£N brief properly, but I don't really know where to begin. I have been trying to look for inspiration. The first thing I looked at was Make Poverty History which is possibly the closest thing to my T£N campaign.

I am a big fan of the logo which says make poverty history, whilst the words in bold say make history. Simple word play.



I think that the most important promotional aspect of Make Poverty History is the white bands that people had, which became popular very quickly, to 'show-off' that they cared about poverty:



"It's predicated on the notion that most of us would like to give to charity, but only if we get something in return and only if we can flaunt a logo showing just how good we are"

- Robert Preston
Shopping and donating are different (BBC News)

As sad as it is, I feel that my campaign needs to give people something to show that they took part in the campaign, maybe a banner that can go on their Facebook or Myspace profiles.

I also found this video of the Make Poverty History TV ad than ran for a few months before being taken off the air by Ofcom because it was seen as political....stupid, stupid, stupid.



One campaign (which I think is linked to Make Poverty History - well Bono had something to do with it) that is interesting to look at from a branding point of view is [Red] (which apparently made massive losses) - the agency responsible, I believe, is Wolff Ollins, who tried to do something similar (and shitter) for London 2012.



What is great about the (RED) branding is how adaptable it is - other companies can put their own brand inside the brackets and the two brands are instantly joined.



The other unique thing about (RED) was that the colour was instantly recognisable as most of the products that had (RED) ranges didn't normally come in red.



It would be really good if I could find some way of making the T£N brand as adaptable as (RED) so that charities and organisations could combine it with their own branding to promote themselves.

No comments: