Tuesday 5 May 2009

Lenticu-what?

I think that the best and simplest way of getting people to question things is to juxtapose 2 pieces of information - eg Sagmeister used simple graphs Move our Money, to compare US military spending the other nations military budgets, as well as the US education budget, etc.

I have been looking at 'lenticular' printing techniques, which basically involved interlacing different images and printing them behind a series of lenses, so that when viewed from different angles different images are seen. I was hoping it would be too expensive to get a few large scale lenticular prints done. I was wrong. £700 per A1...

So I have been experimenting with making my own simplified version - by folding paper. I used these two statistics (I wrote them quickly and the copy is a bit wordy and awkward...sorry).

Photobucket

Animated GIFF - give it a few seconds.

When sliced up and mixed together it looked something like this:



I printed it out (I have ran out of black ink, meaning all that was black is now white - sharmone!) and started to fold it, it was ridiculously fiddly, and the paper started to perish with being folded so much. I got about half of the way in and it seemed to be working - it is just too fiddly and ends up looking to scruffy for me to do it on a larger scale.



No comments: