Thursday 27 November 2008

How I made Jupiter

I thought it was worth mentioning how I made Jupiter. I was quite important for me to make the typographic image as accurate as possible.



As I wanted to represent the planet accurately I used a photograph. I Live Traced it into nine colours (saving the tenth for the faint rings that aren’t visible on the photograph. I made each colour completely different to see the sections clearly.


I then created a path in the same shape as the planet (including the rings) and filled it with Lorum Ipsum. I changed the colour of the separate words to match the different coloured sections of the image.

Counting how many words of Lorum Ipsum were in each section allowed me to find 10 appropriate passages. Using the Lorum Ipsum as a guide on the layer below, I coloured each passage and fitted the words together like a jigsaw.

I'm not sure how apparent that is from the image - but it shows the live traced planet, beneath the Lorum Ipsum beneath the final copy.

No comments: